A warning from public well being businesses in Los Angeles and Orange counties towards consuming deer-antler tea because of the danger of contracting botulism was in impact Saturday.
The Los Angeles County Division of Public Well being has confirmed one case of botulism and recognized a suspected case, each amongst adults dwelling in Orange County.
The division’s preliminary investigation suggests these instances could also be related to the consumption of a deer-antler tea product acquired in March, a division official stated.
The division recommends anybody who bought or might have been given a product just like the tea, which is available in a sealed pouch, in March ought to instantly eliminate it.
“Botulism is a uncommon however critical sickness brought on by a nerve toxin that’s produced by the bacterium Clostridium,” the division stated in a press release
“Basic signs of botulism embrace double imaginative and prescient, blurred imaginative and prescient, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, problem swallowing and weak spot. These are all signs of muscle paralysis brought on by the bacterial toxin.”
The division warns that if left untreated, these signs might progress to trigger paralysis of the respiratory muscle tissues, arms, legs, and trunk.
“In foodborne botulism, signs usually start 18 to 36 hours after consuming a contaminated meals, however they will happen as early as six hours or as late as 10 days,” the division stated.
“The respiratory failure and paralysis that happen with extreme botulism might require a affected person to be on a respiration machine (ventilator) for weeks or months, plus intensive medical and nursing care. The paralysis slowly improves.”
Well being officers advocate that people experiencing any of those signs after consuming this product search speedy medical care.
—Metropolis Information Service
>> Need to learn extra tales like this? Get our Free Day by day Newsletters Right here!